For this project our Spinnaker software will be used in Australian and New Zealand ICUs to test questions related to community acquired pneumonia. Spinnakers adaptability is a key factor in this self-learning/adaptive trial.
General Characteristics of a Platform Trial
- A novel and innovative trial design that is highly adaptive and utilises frequent Bayesian interim analyses to answer as many questions as possible from the available sample
- Simultaneously evaluates the effectiveness of multiple alternative treatment options in a heterogeneous population including identifying any interactions between treatments
- Evaluates treatment effects in sub-groups
- Allows modification of key trial parameters in response to accumulated information and predefined rules
- Preferentially randomises participants to treatments that are likely to be more effective, leading to better outcomes for patients within the trial.